- The Society was registered in 1999 by a group of concerned Private Refuse and Sewage Contractors in Rivers States under the leadership of Mr. Ossai R.M. as SOLID WASTE ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (SAN);
- The focus was to propagate good practice in municipal waste collection and Sewage disposal all over Nigeria and above all to affiliate to ISWA;
- Attempts were made to sell this idea to the Nigerian public and Government. In line with this drive, SAN visited the National Assembly and made a presentation to the House Committee on Environment.
- From the engagement of the Nigerian Public, it was resolved to increase the coverage of the Society.
- Following the need to cover all types of waste and aspects of waste management, the Association was re-registered in April 2005 (CAC/IT/NO 18515) as Wastes Management Society of Nigeria (WAMASON)
- The Society is incorporated in Nigeria as a non-profit, non-government professional organization with a clear conviction to transform waste management culture in the country.