- The Society was registered in 1999 by a group of concerned Private Refuse and Sewage Contractors in Rivers States under the leadership of Mr Ossai R.M. as SOLID WASTE ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (SAN);
- The focus was to propagate good practice in municipal waste collection and Sewage disposal all over Nigeria and above all to affiliate to ISWA;
- Attempts were made to sell this idea to the Nigerian public and Government. In line with this drive, SAN visited national assembly and made presentation to the House Committee on Environment.
- From the engagement of Nigeria public, it was resolved to increase the coverage of the Society.
- Following the need to cover all types of waste and aspects of waste management, the Association was re-registered in April 2005 (CAC/IT/NO 18515) as Wastes Management Society of Nigeria (WAMASON)
- The Society is incorporated in Nigeria as a non-profit, non-government professional organization with a clear conviction to transform waste management culture in the country.